Yan22

Let's talk english !

[si vous ne comprenez pas un mot à l'anglais, ne vous aventurez même pas plus loin ;) ]

Hello guys!

So here is a new topic for you. As you may have seen, it's in english (thanks captain obvious). It's really simple ; You can talk about anything you want, as long as it's in english. Obviously, you have to respect the usuals rules of the forum.

Have fun, and go ahead!

Very good your idea Yan.

:D

It's just four letters with no meaning at all :|

Are you serious? Actually these letters mean something...

Jesus Christ :doh: Yes I know obviously. But it's not the kind of things to say here, you know.

GTFO: get the f*** out (en gros, casse-toi tu pues et marche à l'ombre t'es pas d'ma bande)

I'd like to share some english training with you:

Vous avez quatre heures.

Millimetres. That’s all it could’ve been.

I was chasing a stricken business jet across the countryside on the outskirts of Los Santos. I was controlling Trevor below on a dirt bike, bombing over the lumpy ground full throttle, one eye on the terrain and one eye on the plane above as the pilot weaved about searching for somewhere to put his smoking bird down. A road suddenly revealed itself ahead; it wasn’t especially busy but there was a truck ambling along it. I needed to blast across this road to continue keeping tabs on the plane, so I was left with a split-second decision: dart in front of the moving truck or ease off the gas and let it pass.

I chose the former, gave the bike the beans, and aimed for the other side of the street. The truck loomed large on my right. I nudged the left stick forward, hunkering Trevor down over the handlebars. At that moment the truck was practically on top of him, but the collision never came. Trevor and the bike sprang out from in front of the encroaching truck like a stabbed cat. There couldn’t have been more than millimetres between the bike’s rear tyre and the truck’s fender, but we’d made it.

It was pure Hollywood. A random, breathtaking moment of awesome directly stemming from a decision I made. A purely emergent, life-and-death dance more exciting than every pre-constructed, quick-time event I’ve ever half-heartedly button-bashed my way through.

Make no mistake; Grand Theft Auto V is made of moments just like this.

And it feels incredible.

My hands-on with Grand Theft Auto V begins just outside of Los Santos, in a smallparking lot just off a winding freeway wrapping itself along the San Andreas coastline. There’s a waypoint in the middle of Vinewood and several vacant performance cars available to get me there.

I take the one with scissor doors.

I gingerly thread my way into the traffic bustling down the freeway towards the city. The road is thick with semi-trailers rumbling into Los Santos. The distinction between GTA V and GTA IV’s vehicle handling is immediately clear; carving my way through the throngs of 18-wheelers the low-slung supercar feels more sure-footed and grippy than similar models in GTA IV. It’s more responsive, but without erring towards feeling too superficial or light.

To the right, over the ocean, the sun is setting. The sky glows orange as I near the first turn-off. Pulling into a more built-up area of town I’m reminded of the obsessive, incidental detail that amazed me during our first, hands-off demonstration. The cracked roads. The bespoke graffiti lining the walls. The unique shopfronts and billboards littering your line of sight. The city is colourful yet weathered. Living but lived-in. Like Liberty City before it, Los Santos is already making me feel as much like a tourist as a player.

Los Santos looks absolutely stunning at night.

I cruise past an Up-n-Atom Burger on my left. It’s night now and the neon lights of Vinewood are bathing the whole environment in a soft glow. It’s suggested, at this stage, I cause a little mayhem and get a feel for the on-foot controls.

I ditch the car just down from the Cathay Theater and bring up the weapon wheel. For the purposes of the hands-on it’s fully stocked. The wheel itself functions in a similar way to the weapon wheel in Max Payne 3, only in GTA V you can carry a great deal more hardware. The main wheel itself is broken down into a series of subcategories; after scrolling with the stick to the weapon type you want, left and right on the D-pad will cycle between additional individual weapons. I select the heavy machine guns and flick between the ones on offer until I find a minigun. It’s an elegant system. Impressively, the weapon wheel will store all of the weapons you collect and you’ll never lose them, even if they run out of ammo or you get busted.

Somewhere, somehow, Michael Mann just got a tingle in his gentlemen's area.

The minigun makes short work of vehicles, but the response from the local constabulary is swift and severe and my anti-social experiment doesn’t last long. The police, who appear to be giving me a much wider berth than their brothers-in-blue from Liberty City, are quite content to pick me off from afar – and they successfully do so before I wreak too much havoc.

Respawning at the nearest hospital, it’s daylight and I’m struck at just how much brighter GTA V is than GTA IV. The harsh, San Andreas sunshine lends vehicles a dazzling gleam, casts sharp shadows, and gives the whole environment a brilliant, suitably over-exposed summertime feel. Aesthetically, Los Santos stands in stark contrast to the somewhat washed-out bleakness of Liberty City.

I jog out onto the road and train a pistol at the first driver I obstruct, assuming he’ll abandon his car. He does not; he slinks down behind the steering wheel and floors it, running me down in the process. Civilian responses to carjacking seem more varied here in GTA V. In a few cases simply wrenching the door open is enough for the occupant to get out of his or her car in fear, without you raising a further finger. I appropriate a shiny red, El Camino-style pick-up and proceed to hurl it around the streets. It handles noticeably differently from the high-powered supercar; potent but heftier. The pick-up doesn’t stick to the road quite as tenaciously but it’s simple to tame and throw about.

I loose a few rounds into a passing bus to stir up the fuzz and trade my pick-up for a large beverage truck. The truck’s bulk makes for some satisfyingly crunching collisions with the pursuing police cruisers but, again, I’m chopped down minutes into my rampage.

It’s no matter because it’s time for some missions.

The first mission I play is called Repossession. It’s an early mission, one of the first in the game, and features Franklin. Franklin and his friend Lamar are working for Simeon Yatarian, a dodgy Armenian car dealer. After buttering Franklin up with an Employee of the Month award that serves to simply irritate Franklin and (hilariously) infuriate Lamar, Simeon tasks the pair of them with repossessing a motorcycle he recently sold to a possible gangbanger who’s never made a payment.

Simeon’s dealership has several high-end vehicles available that Franklin can use immediately. I’m told players will be able to save their favourites in a garage or safehouse and, if a saved vehicle is abandoned or destroyed, it can be recovered (for a fee) at the local impound lot.

Franklin and Lamar with a ride that looks fit for an ejector seat.

As I make my way to the customer’s location in an aggressive-looking sports saloon the little touches keep coming. The new crunch of spinning tyres on grass and dirt. The way livid drivers angrily flip you off after collisions. The ubiquitous rain grooves of LA’s decaying freeways brought to life in Los Santos. The subtle ticking of a cooling engineafter shutting off a car. The amount of work that’s gone into elements many gamers may not even notice continues to astonish.

Arriving in a dilapidated residential area, Franklin and Lamar mantle a chain link fenceand make their way down a quiet alley in search of the bike. Lamar accosts a nearby homeless drunk in what I’m told is a totally unique encounter; a brief, one-of-a-kind interaction that serves to immerse players deeper and deeper in this living, breathing city and its surroundings. The main characters and NPCs alike are apparently bursting with thousands of custom animations, all of which are there to add valuable context to the world of GTA V.

The repo, unsurprisingly, goes pear-shaped when Lamar triggers a firefight with the gang while looking for the bike. Kicking a pistol towards Franklin I get my first proper taste of GTA V’s combat. The likes of Red Dead Redemption and Max Payne 3 have had a hugely positive impact on GTA V’s shooting mechanics. These changes were explained to us all several months ago but, hands-on, I can vouch for the success of these tweaks. The controls are supremely refined and the action tight.

A car peels into the fracas but crashes moments later, leaving a trail of fuel on the asphalt. Lamar instructs me to shoot it and I oblige, setting the trail of petrol alight. A line of flame licks across the ground and back to the wrecked car, which explodes spectacularly.

It's a big bodycount for a bike.

The bike Franklin and Lamar have been tasked with recovering suddenly speeds off down the alley, presumably beneath the miscreant they’re meant to recover it from. I sprint back to the car, pausing for beat while Lamar gets back into the passenger seat. Slamming the sedan into reverse and swinging the front end around I can attest that GTA V’s newly-honed handling still allows for glorious and deceptively easy J-turns. Using the map we move to intercept the bike.

Lamar encourages me to blast the bloke off the motorcycle, which I attempt, but I instead collide with him in the process. It’s still a result, however, and I collect the crashed motorcycle and take it to a prearranged location. The motorcycles have benefitted from the handling improvements too; they still feel quite manoeuvrable but, at the same time, they now come with more believable sense of mass.

The second mission I play is called Three’s Company, which is the first mission to introduce all three of GTA V’s playable characters.

Michael, Trevor, and Franklin have been conscripted to extract and deliver a high-value FIB target from a large building in downtown Los Santos. It’s an audacious plan. Michael makes the extraction, Franklin provides sniper support from an adjacent rooftop, and Trevor flies the chopper.

After making my way to the chopper as Michael I assume control of Trevor and the chopper, taking off and gaining height over the industrial area below. This is my first taste of GTA V from the air and the scale is immense. The city stretches out beneath the chopper in every direction. On the ground you feel like a tiny part of a huge world. From the air you see why.

The view will always blow you away before the police blow you out of the sky.

The chopper controls are unchanged from GTA IV, although they feel sharper and more precise. I position the chopper over the target building, triggering a swap to Michael (who’s set to rappel from the heli to make the snatch). The target is being threatened with sodomy with a large flashlight when I burst through the window and grab him, although I’m immediately surrounded by several armed men. It’s here another automatic swap is triggered, this time to Franklin. A coloured flash on screen will signal a switch to a particular character. Michael is blue, Franklin is green, and Trevor is orange.

Franklin’s peering through a scope at the chaos unfolding. I begin to provide cover for Michael, who’s now dangling from the rope clutching the target. After several kills I’m now able to switch back to Michael manually; his portrait is flashing red on the character wheel, meaning I must either provide support for him or switch to him lest he die (at other times the character portraits may flash white, indicating a particular character is in prime position to assist or has some kind of tactical advantage).

Hey, it worked like a charm in The Eiger Sanction!

After clearing the room, Michael and the high-value target are whisked back up to the chopper and I switch back to Franklin to address the three hostile helicopters that have arrived on the scene. Firing a cluster of rounds through the cockpit glass I nail a pilot and one of the choppers spirals away out of control. The other two, chasing Trevor and Michael, zip past. I switch to Michael, firing a light machine gun from the open door and shoot down another. I then switch to Trevor for a little evasive action while Michael and Franklin take care of the shooting. After all three choppers are despatched I return to the take-off location to deliver the target to the awaiting FIB goons. The improved helicopter mechanics definitely make landing more straightforward; the chopper doesn’t feel as if requires constant correction once you’ve got it in the right position.

Mission number three for the afternoon ups the ante. Called Derailed, this mission sees Michael and Trevor hijacking a train to nab whatever gold or loot it contains. Trevor doesn’t actually know; he just knows whatever it is, it’s incredibly valuable and can’t be transported by air. While Michael heads off to find a boat for his part of the plan, I hop on a dirt bike as Trevor and set off to catch the train.

I tuck in behind the last carriage and follow the fast moving train until I spot a raised area to the right of the track. Breaking off from behind the train I weave the bike up a small hill and over a slight outcrop, aiming for the snaking train below. I slam down on one of theshipping containers and begin to ride towards the locomotive up front. It’s tricky, though, and Trevor and the bike fall off the edge, slamming into a bridge railing. It’s here the checkpoint system, something that debuted in The Ballad of Gay Tony, proves GTA V has well and truly shed its most unforgiving trait. There’s no need to make that tricky jump again to finish the mission; a checkpoint will be triggered once you’ve made it.

This is the kind of thing that allows GTA V’s missions to be so varied and crazy; you’re no longer required to complete the whole thing perfectly or start from scratch. Now you can take more risks and have more fun while you’re doing it, without sweating you’ll need to try again from the beginning should you fail. Like TBOGT, every mission is also replayable, allowing you to experiment with different tactics.

After reaching the loco Trevor jumps in and knocks out the driver, leaving me driving the train briefly until I’m switched to Michael. Michael’s skipping across the water in a Zodiac-style rigid inflatable boat. The water physics are truly great. The sloshing waves foam beneath the boat, which feels light as it skims across the ocean and up the Zancudo River to a rail bridge where Trevor is about to cause a major train crash.

Sure, it looks tranquil now.

Two fully-laden freight trains collide as Trevor leaps from the cabin and into the river below. Containers tumble into the water. As Michael I toss a satchel charge onto our target container and blow the doors. Michael heads in as I’m switched to Trevor, covering him from behind a log outside. A retrieval team of private security is already en route and it’s up to me to keep them off Michael’s back.

Three enemy boats arrive first; a concentrated spray of bullets towards the occupants of each is enough to silence them. A pair of nimble choppers is the next threat, but stitching a devastating line of lead across the cockpits of both sees one peel off into the rocky cliffside and explode and the other drop like a leaf into the river. The thermal scope on my sniper rifle is handy to spot the goons hiding on the bridge above, but the soft-lock targeting and the range of my LMG means it not crucial. A final pair of security personnel arrives on a hill above via parachute, but they too are cut down.

Escaping from the scene I choose to fire on our pursuers while Michael helms the boat. By air, by water, and by land they chase us – a 4x4 bouncing alongside the river scattering hikers proves particularly troublesome to dissuade – but eventually we reach open water. I switch to Michael and beach our boat near our escape vehicles.

Mission four, Nervous Ron, is a Trevor joint and a huge amount of fun. Trevor is furious after some members of The Lost MC ransacked his trailer and broke one of his collectible statues. He wants revenge, but he also wants their arms dealing business, so he sets about killing two birds with one stone. Here I get to see Trevor’s neck of the woods at night and it’s a drastic change from evening in Los Santos. There’s far less bustle in Sandy Shores and streetlights are fewer. The main source of light is the headlamp from Trevor’s ATV.

As psychopathic as he is, Trevor is going to be a firm favourite with many players.

As Trevor I head to the nearby Ammu-Nation. The store is quiet at this time of night; the only real sound is the buzz from the neon at the front of the store. Inside Trevor threatens the clerk into donating him a rifle, a scope, and a suppressor. Weapons in GTA V come with a range of customisation options, both cosmetic and practical. These can be bought and applied in any of the game’s Ammu-Nation stores and, as mentioned, the player will never lose them, even if they get busted.

Making my way back to the outskirts of a Lost-controlled airstrip a coyote unexpectedly bolts in front of my ATV and I strike it. I hear a thud and a whelp before I’ve even seen the animal.

After I rendezvous with Ron, Trevor sends him into the area to set some explosives. I cover Ron from a bunch of bikers as he creeps around the run-down airstrip, at one point even shooting the lights out above one of the bodies to prevent another biker from seeing it.

Eventually The Lost get wise to Trevor’s imminent hostile takeover and begin to fight back. Riding into the scene and wading into the skirmish I make my way into the hangar where Ron is preparing to taxi out onto the runway in a twin-engine plane. Trevor leaps onto the wing on his belly and, as Ron moves the plane out of the hangar, I find I’m able to fire at the bikers ahead and roll onto my side and back to deal with bikers beside and behind me. It’s precisely like Max Payne’s ability to fire in any direction when prone in Max Payne 3.

Further down the runway Trevor leaps off and grabs a plane of his own. As I hurtle down the tarmac I skittle one biker, his body flailing out from underneath my speeding plane. Another leaps onto the wing and clutches on as I take off. He falls away screaming as I jink the controls.

I follow Ron over the ocean where he encourages me to get down low to avoid being detected by the nearby military base. The propwash from my plane kicks up spray as I cruise just feet above the waves.

The higher you get, the more like a postcard GTA V looks.

We drop the merchandise from the planes to some awaiting boats before racing back to a different airfield. A mountain rises to the left. There are wetlands below. Blaine County and the glimmering sea make up everything else I can see. It’s stunning.

The airfield comes into view ahead and I throttle down to cut speed for landing. I throttle down too much and Trevor cuts the engines entirely. They splutter back to life, belching black smoke just in time to give me the extra distance I need to reach the runway and I hastily touch down and park the plane. The planes feel great and landing seems suitably forgiving.

The fifth and final mission of my hands-on, Vinewood Babylon, proves to be my favourite and results in the anecdote I introduced this preview with. A contact of Michael’s needs a package retrieved from a private jet. The jet, however, is airborne so Michael and Trevor need to force it down.

While Trevor heads off to find an off-road vehicle to chase the jet, I head up to a quiet spot overlooking the city as Michael. Waiting is a van with a very special gun in the back. Think of the gun Bruce Willis shot Jack Black’s arm off with in 1997’s The Jackal; a huge, mounted rifle controlled via a computer screen. A small red reticule leading the plane tracks where you need to shoot to critically damage one of the jet’s engines. Three hits and the plane begins to lose height, leaving a trail of billowing, oily black smoke behind it.

At least the peanuts are still complimentary.

This is where I assume control of Trevor, blasting across half of Blaine Country, leaping over hills, ditches and moving trains chasing the crippled aircraft.

The plane eventually crashes and Trevor is able to recover the package for Michael’s contact. At this point, control switches back to Michael and I’m instructed to destroy the van. To do so, I slosh a jerry can’s worth of fuel all around it and slowly back away, leaving a trail of gasoline to light. The van burns slowly, the tyres burst, and then it explodes.

After seeing GTA V for the first time a few months ago the thing that struck me most was its incredible scope. Playing it for the first time has only served to strengthen my admiration of this game’s unprecedented girth. Not just physical girth. The sheer size of the world, sure, but also the utter variety that pervades GTA V’s every element.

Not long now.

The creatively bonkers missions I played. The amazing diversity of the city and its surroundings. The distinct differences between the game’s three main characters (they’re all very different men and I have a hunch the largely appalling but genuinely hilarious Trevor will be a surprising favourite).

I’ve barely even touched on the colossal range of vehicles on offer. I saw everything from Kombi-style surf vans to huge off-highway haul trucks and everything in between, and that was still just a slice of what GTA V will be stocked with.

Although you may want to concentrate on stealing the fast ones.

For most of this year gamers the world over have been preoccupied with discussing 2013’s exciting new console launches. We’ve hung on Sony and Microsoft’s every word, waiting for confirmation of just when the next generation was set to arrive.

The truth is, we knew all along. September 17.

PlayStation 4 and Xbox One may be arriving in November but GTA V is already poised to upstage the pair of them. With respect to the many tremendously exciting games headed to PS4 and Xbox One later this year, GTA V already feels like a potent reminder that ambition, confidence and, above all, gameplay beats a brand new box of chips and wires every time.

Never mind November; I suspect the next generation will start when GTA V says it is does.

;)